Dr Catherine Lewis Kenedi
Bsc (Wesleyan University), MSc (University of Michigan), PhD (Duke University)
I grew up in Baltimore, Maryland, thousands of kilometers away from the closest volcanoes. Volcanoes drew me closer, however, when I took a volcanology course in which we travelled to Hawaii to hike over the largest volcano on Earth (Mauna Loa) and feel the heat and hear the rustle of active lava flows at Kilauea Volcano. I was hooked and went back a year later to volunteer for nine months at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. Subsequently, in my masters degree, I analyzed, dated, and mapped the volcanic deposits of Volcan Tequila, Mexico. Later my PhD took me back to Hawaii, to look at what we could learn from earthquakes in geothermal fields, and to the Caribbean island of Montserrat, to look at seismic reflections offshore and the faults that seismic data revealed. When I came to the University of Auckland, I continued to do work related to earthquakes at volcanoes, both at the volcanic field that threatens the city of Al-Madinah, Saudi Arabia, and most recently when we installed a seismometer on Rangitoto Island, in Auckland.
Currently I am working as a course designer for the first year Earth Science course in the School of Environment and contributing to teaching other courses. I am also the Project Manager for the newly established Hazard Hub @ University of Auckland, which brings together researchers and students in natural hazards from across the university.
Teaching | Current
EARTHSCI 103 Dynamic Earth
EARTHSCI 105/105G Natural Hazards in New Zealand
EARTHSCI 705 Geohazards
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Abdelwahed, M. F., El-Marry, N., Moufti, M. R., Kenedi, C. L., Zhao, D., Zahran, H., & Shawali, J. (2016). Imaging of magma intrusions beneath Harrat Al-Madinah in Saudi Arabia. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 120, 17-28. 10.1016/j.jseaes.2016.01.023
- Voight, B., Sparks, R. S. J., Shalev, E., Minshull, T., Paulatto, M., Annen, C., ... Brown, L. (2014). Chapter 15 The SEA-CALIPSO volcano imaging experiment at Montserrat: plans, campaigns at sea and on land, scientific results, and lessons learned. Geological Society, London, Memoirs, 39 (1), 253-289. 10.1144/M39.15
- Runge, M. G., Bebbington, M. S., Cronin, S. J., Lindsay, J. M., Kenedi, C. L., & Moufti, M. R. H. (2014). Vents to events: Determining an eruption event record from volcanic vent structures for the Harrat Rahat, Saudi Arabia. Bulletin of Volcanology, 76 (3), 1-16. 10.1007/s00445-014-0804-z
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jan Lindsay, Shane Cronin
- Kenedi, C. L., Sparks, R. S. J., Malin, P., Voight, B., Dean, S., Minshull, T., ... Shalev, E. (2010). Contrasts in morphology and deformation offshore Montserrat: New insights from the SEA-CALIPSO marine cruise data. Geophysical Research Letters, 37 (19).10.1029/2010GL043925
- Voight, B., Sparks, R. S. J., Hammond, J., Shalev, E., Malin, P., Kenedi, C., ... Hidayat, D. (2010). Active source seismic experiment peers under soufrire hills volcano. Eos, 91 (28), 245-247. 10.1029/2010EO280002
- Shalev, E., Kenedi, C. L., Malin, P., Voight, V., Miller, V., Hidayat, D., ... Brown, L. (2010). Three-dimensional seismic velocity tomography of Montserrat from the SEA-CALIPSO offshore/onshore experiment. Geophysical Research Letters, 37 (9).10.1029/2010GL042498
- Paulatto, M., Minshull, T. A., Baptie, B., Dean, S., Hammond, J. O. S., Henstock, T., ... Peirce, C. (2010). Upper crustal structure of an active volcano from refraction/reflection tomography, Montserrat, Lesser Antilles. Geophysical Journal International, 180 (2), 685-696. 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2009.04445.x
- Wotherspoon, L. M., Kenedi, C., & Malin, P. (2009). Borehole Instrument Centre for Eden Park: Development and research. Why do we still tolerate buildings that are unsafe in earthquakes?, CD ROM Christchurch, New Zealand.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Liam Wotherspoon